Popular Posts

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Blog Post #3- Bloom's Taxonomy For Art

Vince Van Gogh: Starry Night, June 1889
Knowledge- Vince Van Gogh wrote a letter to his brother, Theo, June 2, 1889. This letter influenced him to create the painting The Starry Night. A passage from the letter:" This morning I saw my country from my window a long time before sunrise, with nothing but the morning star(?), which looked very big." The morning star. is actually Venus, the planet. This morning star is also located a little to the left of the center of the painting.

Understanding- The night sky and effects of light at night define the subject and/or theme

Application- Questions I would ask are:"Would you make any changes to this famous art piece?; Did you ever tell your brother about this masterpiece?; What were the swirls in the top-middle of the painting?"

Analysis-I think the artist is trying to say is that there are more shades, shapes, forms, etc. etc. at night then day.

Synthesis-I would render the subject as night, stars, and as feelings. I say night became the painting is drawn with a night sky. I say stars because it shows out in the night sky. I say feeling because of the morning star he put in his picture.

Evaluation- My opinion of the painting is that it is about the things he saw that night. When he look out at his town and saw the morning star.

No comments:

Post a Comment